Engineering Design with SOLIDWORKS 2018 and video instruction is written to assist students, designers, engineers and professionals. The book provides a solid foundation in SOLIDWORKS by utilizing projects with step-by-step instructions for the beginner to intermediate SOLIDWORKS user. Explore the user interface, CommandManager, menus, toolbars and modeling techniques to create parts, assemblies and drawings in an engineering environment.
Follow the step-by-step instructions and develop multiple parts and assemblies that combine machined, plastic and sheet metal components. Formulate the skills to create, modify and edit sketches and solid features.
Learn the techniques to reuse features, parts and assemblies through symmetry, patterns, copied components, Design Tables, Bills of Materials, Custom Properties and Configurations. Address various SOLIDWORKS analysis tools and Intelligent Modeling techniques along with Additive Manufacturing (3D printing). Learn by doing not just by reading.
Desired outcomes and usage competencies are listed for each project. Know your objective up front. Follow the steps in Projects 1 – 9 to achieve the design goals.
Review Project 10 on Additive Manufacturing (3D printing) and its benefits and features. Understand the terms and technology used in low cost 3D printers.
Work between multiple documents, features, commands and custom properties that represent how engineers and designers utilize SOLIDWORKS in industry.
Review individual features, commands and tools with the video instruction. The projects contain exercises. The exercises analyze and examine usage competencies. Collaborate with leading industry suppliers such as SMC Corporation of America, Boston Gear and 80/20 Inc.
Collaborative information translates into numerous formats such as paper drawings, electronic files, rendered images and animations. On-line intelligent catalogs guide designers to the product that meets both their geometric requirements and performance functionality.
The author developed the industry scenarios by combining his own industry experience with the knowledge of engineers, department managers, vendors and manufacturers. He is directly involved with SOLIDWORKS every day. His responsibilities go far beyond the creation of just a 3D model.
The book is designed to complement the SOLIDWORKS Tutorials contained in SOLIDWORKS 2018.
New in the 2018 Edition
A new bonus chapter on the CSWA – Mechanical Design exam has been added to the book. Chapter 10 on additive manufacturing was updated with new vendor and technology changes. There is also twenty percent additional homework examples for the instructors with support materials.
View the provided videos in the book to enhance the user experience. The videos cover the following topics:
- Start a SOLIDWORKS 2018 session
- Understand the SOLIDWORKS 2018 Interface
- Create 2D Sketching, Sketch Planes and use Sketch tools
- Create 3D Features and apply Design Intent
- Create an Assembly
- Create fundamental Drawings Part 1 & Part 2
Table of Contents
1. Overview of SOLIDWORKS and the User Interface
2. Fundamentals of Part Modeling
3. Fundamentals of Assembly Modeling
4. Fundamentals of Drawing
5. Extrude and Revolve Features
6. Swept, Lofted and Additional Features
7. Top Down Assembly Modeling and Sheet Metal Parts
8. SOLIDWORKS Simulation
9. Intelligent Modeling Techniques
10. Additive Manufacturing – 3D Printing
About the Author
David Planchard is the founder of D&M Education LLC. Before starting D&M Education, he spent over 27 years in industry and academia holding various engineering, marketing, and teaching positions. He holds five U.S. patents. He has published and authored numerous papers on Machine Design, Product Design, Mechanics of Materials, and Solid Modeling. He is an active member of the SOLIDWORKS Users Group and the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE). David holds a BSME, MSM with the following professional certifications: CCAI, CCNP, CSDA, CSWSA-FEA, CSWP, CSWP-DRWT and SOLIDWORKS Accredited Educator. David is a SOLIDWORKS Solution Partner, an Adjunct Faculty member and the SAE advisor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in the Mechanical Engineering department. In 2012, David s senior Major Qualifying Project team (senior capstone) won first place in the Mechanical Engineering department at WPI. In 2014, 2015 and 2016, David s senior Major Qualifying Project teams won the Provost award in Mechanical Engineering for design excellence.
David Planchard is the author of the following books:
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 Reference Guide with video instruction, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2008
- Engineering Design with SOLIDWORKS 2018 and video instruction, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003
- Engineering Graphics with SOLIDWORKS 2018 and video instruction, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 Quick Start with video instruction
- SOLIDWORKS 2017 in 5 Hours with video instruction, 2016, 2015, 2014
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 Tutorial with video instruction, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003
- Drawing and Detailing with SOLIDWORKS 2014, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, and 2002
- Official Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional (CSWP) Certification Guide with video instruction, Version 4: 2017 – 2015, Version 3: 2014 – 2012, Version 2: 2013 – 2012, Version 1: 2011, 2010
- Official Guide to Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate Exams: CSWA, CSDA, CSWSA-FEA Version 3: 2017 – 2015, Version 2: 2015 – 2012, Version 1: 2013, 2012
- Assembly Modeling with SOLIDWORKS 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005-2004, 2003 and 2001Plus
- Applications in Sheet Metal Using Pro/SHEETMETAL & Pro/ENGINEER